Welcome to my World of Letters

'Hearty Welcome to my little world of Letters where I'm spontaneously spilled over in my soliloquies. The thoughts and feelings, expressed over here, are solely mine and they have nothing to do with my profession.'

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Eating Samosa at New Road

 


New road of Kathmandu may be business world or modern fashionable and fascinating city, or shopping centre for other people but for me it has completely a different connotation. Whenever I enter from its gate, crossing hustling and bustling crowed area on my two wheelers being squeezed between my kid and wife, I can’t stop driving towards a Samosa Corner. As you can guess, it has been my long experience, that’s the corner which I frequently visit alone, sometimes with family and other times with friends to eat samosa, a fresh, very hot and crunchy samosa standing in the alley, though it’s not easy to go and to eat.

As you go through the main Road of near, Bishal Bazar, first you will suffer with parking problem. Long arranged parked bikes on the side of road, has not only made the road narrow and congested, but also you will have to wait in queue to park your vehicle there. If you could park, a new fear arouse in your mind, will you find it later easily and come out easily. Anyway, you can go ahead, but you don’t need to walk, simply because people push you from behind, U can’t see where you are stepping on a narrow street. Somehow, anyone can guess, you are near samosa corner, you can see many big crowd, hovering around sweets case, shouting for coupon and asking for price. Now, you are there, where very often I used to be.

The sound, smell, sight and taste all come to function at once. As you enter there, your nose tells you where you are. People are shouting and ordering and taking the purchased items with saliva in mouth. They are holding hot, oily, spicy, foodstuffs and looking for the seats, but no chairs, just narrow alleys, standing and holding the samosa on leaf made plates, and eating with difficulty.  You see the people with hissing sounds and gapping mouths, and awkward facial expression due to hot spicy foodstuff, that deserves the sight to observe. Just you break hot samosa, dip into hot sauce, with vapor, put the stuff into mouth, feel difficult to swallow, you can’t chew, but has its own taste. People of all ages gather there to taste somosa there.

Eating samosa is horrible experience there. You will have to stand in long queue in a narrow passage. Many people will push and poke; sometimes they may spill the sauce in your clothes. When you take coupon again you need to go in another queue to receive the order. It’s a self service; you have to carry yourself everything. It sounds odd but you will do it for the sake of taste. You can’t have seat, you have to eat standing and no one is there to serve you water or to receive your order.

I surprise why people go there though that’s not a comfortable zone. No more facilities except those hot, fresh, spicy, tasty food stuffs. U can’t have relax, You can’t breathe easily, a narrow space, too much congested, pushed and poked every minutes, yet, a fantastic world with in! I wonder how they could prepare all those things to supply the crowd of people.  It has been long since I haven’t been there; I wanna go there soon with my kid and wife again once!

Naveen Marasini

No comments:

Post a Comment